Carnegie Primary School is located at the intersection of Glenhuntly and Truganini Rds Carnegie, in the City of Glen Eira. Situated in a residential area, its position offers the following advantages:
- close proximity to pre-school centres including Neerim Pre-School and Truganini Child Care Centre
- close to high quality community sporting venues including ovals, swimming pool and athletic track
- close to new community library
- close to community shopping centre
- close to trams, trains and buses
The 2019 Prep enrolment reflects a steady increase over the recent years and this trend of consistent growth is expected to continue with the area attracting younger families. While this rise in enrolments has allowed for greater flexibility in both staffing and curriculum, we have a neighbourhood boundary to enable us to manage this growth.
We focus strongly on maintaining and fostering our school as a learning community which values interaction between and contribution from students, parents, teachers and the wider community through:
- providing an environment that is safe and secure
- facilitating effective communication to foster a strong partnership within the school community
- providing equal opportunity for all members of the school community
- providing regular professional development for staff
- valuing and facilitating academic excellence
- supporting students to attain their individual potential by building on their strengths and experiences
- encouraging, recognising and rewarding achievement and effort.
- developing in students such qualities in their lives and social skills as tolerance, empathy, responsibility, communication, independence, problem solving, creativity and respect for themselves and others.
- providing and fostering a cooperative environment where students can share the responsibility for their own learning, behaviour and health.
Out of school hours care and vacation care programs are provided by Youth Leadership Victoria, catering for primary school aged children from the wider community as well as students of the school.
Carnegie Primary School boasts fine red brick buildings which date back more than one hundred years. These house:
- an administrative centre
- Japanese room
- ICT laboratory
- 25 classrooms, each with their own notebooks and iPads and interactive whiteboard
Recently constructed buildings include:
- 8 classroom learning centre with modern open learning facilities and breakout areas
- a new full-size gymnasium, art room and music room
- our prep learning centre has had a complete and creative refurbishment during 2018/2019
The school's grounds are extensive consisting of:
- a newly constructed sports oval
- basketball and netball courts
- two sets of shaded fixed play equipment and sandpits