School as a learning community
We focus strongly on maintaining and fostering our school as a learning community which values interaction between and contribution from students, parents, teachers and the wider community through:
- providing an environment that is safe and secure
- facilitating effective communication to foster a strong partnership within the school community
- providing equal opportunity for all members of the school community
- providing regular professional development for staff
- valuing and facilitating academic excellence
- supporting students to attain their individual potential by building on their strengths and experiences
- encouraging, recognising and rewarding achievement and effort.
- developing in students such qualities in their lives and social skills as tolerance, responsibility, communication, independence, problem solving, creativity and respect for themselves and others.
- providing and fostering a cooperative environment where students can share the responsibility for their own learning, behaviour and health.
Our main aim is to foster in students, qualities and skills which will enable them to be successful, confident and tolerant individuals, able to contribute positively to a constantly changing society.
Carnegie Primary offers a comprehensive curriculum including a Language Other than English (Japanese). We strongly emphasise the development of skills in English and Mathematics.
Specialist programs are offered in art, physical education, music, ICT and Japanese, with a perceptual motor program (PMP) provided in Years P-2.
To actively support these curriculum areas the following enrichment programs are provided:
- 'Life Education'
- 'You Can Do It' Education Program
- school camp and sleepover
- interschool sport
- junior school council
- student leadership program
- social skills development
- peer support program
- instrumental music (piano, keyboard, strings and guitar)
- parent education programs